Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bumps and bruises...

As many of you know, especially the women who frequent bridal showers, there is a long held tradition/superstition stating that for every ribbon the bride breaks, the showered couple will have another child. With this in my mind, I decided to prove to people that this superstition is false (as are all other superstitions). I did so by breaking every ribbon (not bows) I came across at any expense. Let me tell you, some of the presents had some serious ribbons. My determination to break every ribbon cause me to endure an injury. Yup...when breaking a ribbon on a box that had too much give, the ribbon rubbed my engagement ring against my skin, and it gave me ring burn (not to be confused with ringworm). The worst part of this injury (and I'm still noticing the effect seeing as it is only now beginning to scab over) is that wearing the ring makes it worse. The ring continues to rub the surface, preventing it from healing. This was compounded by wearing gloves in lab, which made my ring dig into my finger even more. Since my finger was more important than having a sparkling object on my finger, I opted to remove the ring for a day to initiate the healing process and to preserve my digit. If it was a wedding band, I think it would take a more serious injury to warrant removing my band.
Here's some proof of the mishap:
Yikes...day one and my finger was sore.

After four days, the wound was getting deeper, so I took my ring off (and Thomas didn't mind).

Fortunately, after a day of not wearing my engagement ring, my finger has started to heal enough to the point where I can wear it again. WOW...who knew that opening presents could be so dangerous as to damage a delicate young lady's hand...!?!?
I guess I'll have another battle scar to add to my collection...

1 comment:

  1. We broke every tradition - breaking ribbons, no center aisle, Jeff seeing me before the wedding and here we are 11 years later, a quiver of 2 kids (and it's full) and still loving God. That's the most important part.

    ReplyDelete