Monday, July 4, 2011

What's your "John Hancock?"

Happy Birthday America!
Today is the day the United States of America commemorates the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Surprisingly, the Continental Congress actually voted for a declaration of independence on July 2, which is why John Adams forecasted July 2 as a day that would be forever celebrated. The actual Declaration of Independence was not drafted and edited until two days later, which is why we celebrate Independence Day as July 4. With that said, the signing of the document is believed to have taken place a month later, beginning August 2 with John Hancock. This is just one of many myths pertinent to the birth of the United States. You can read more here.
Due to John Hancock's distinguishing and big swooping signature, the term "John Hancock" took on the its current reference to a signature.
John Hancock's signature is the very top, middle signature.

My John Hancock has evolved overtime. If you have seen it, you know that it is rather elaborate, and it may or may not contain enough of the letters in my name to be discernible to an outsider. Now, it will be undergoing a more drastic change; I will have a new last name. Hmm...I will have to come up with a creative way to incorporate "Dean" into my style of signing my name. I guess only time will tell what I come up with...

No comments:

Post a Comment