Monday, November 5, 2012

Meals for Monday - Recipe: Shepherds' Pie

Most of the time my cooking is rooted in using what I (we) have. Sure there are times where I go to the grocery store specifically to buy something for a recipe I want to make, but that's atypical (I'll save details about this story for another post). Anyways, my husband and I were having company, and I was planning on making Shepherds' Pie using the supplies we had on hand: vegetable orzo soup (instead of vegetable beef), ground goat burger (instead of ground beef/hamburger), homemade canned vegetables (instead of frozen veggies), and flavored instant potatoes (instead of homemade/real mashed potatoes). So, here's the directions for what I put together and our company has since requested (of course you can make the reverse substitutions that I mentioned above).
 
Shepherds' Pie
  • 1 lb ground burger
  • 1/2 onion, yellow, diced
  • 1 can (10.75 oz) vegetable orzo soup
  • 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
    • If I had vegetable beef soup, I would not have used this
  • 1 tsp beef bouillon 
  • 1 pint (or ~12-16oz) canned green beans, drained
  • 1 pint (or ~12-16oz) canned carrots, drained
  • 1 pint (or ~12-16oz) canned corn, drained
  • 6 cups prepared mashed potatoes
    • I used 2 pkgs, ~4oz/pkg, of flavored instant potatoes (I would have used 3 if I had them)
    • I used less butter than what it called for since there is plenty of salt and fat in the meat-vegetable mixture and the cheese.
    • Make homemade if that is what you prefer.
  •  2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
  1. Fry burger in a large fry pan, and drain grease.
    • I don't use any oil/fat to fry the burger. Sometimes I add water to make the burger cook faster.
  2. Add onions
    • If you want the onions to soften, add some water to the burger-onion mixture, cover, and steam for ~3 minutes.
  3. Add soup, tomato paste, and bouillon, and stir.
    • Again, if using vegetable beef soup, that latter two can be omitted.
  4. Add vegetables and cook until the desired consistency is reached, adding water as needed.
  5. While the meat-vegetable mixture is cooking, prepare mashed potatoes.
  6. Divide meat-vegetable mixture in half, placing each half into a 2 qt casserole dish (or place all of it into a 9x13" glass dish).
  7. Top each dish with prepared mashed potatoes
  8. Cover each dish with cheese
  9. Microwave covered on "hi" for 10 minutes
    • Or bake in conventional/normal oven at 350F for 10 minutes, or until heated through
      • Can also broil to make top crisp
    • Or bake in a nuwave oven for 10 minutes on 60% Power, or until heated through
    • NOTE: Uncovering the dish in oven or nuwave oven will result in a crispier top. You can uncover the dish in the microwave, but the top won't achieve the same crispiness as the other cooking options (and it's more prone to make a mess in your microwave).

Mmmm...I like Shepherds' Pie because it is super easy, nutritious, and delicious (unless you're one of those people who prefers not to have their food mixed).

No comments:

Post a Comment