Monday, May 23, 2011

Two turtledoves

If you have ever seen Home Alone 2, then you likely are familiar with the symbolism of turtledoves that is sung about in the song "Twelve Days of Christmas."
Mr. E.F. Duncan, Owner Duncan's Toy Chest: You see that tree there? Well to show our appreciation for your generosity, I'm gonna let you select an object from that tree that you can take home with you.
Kevin McCallister: For free?
Mr. E.F. Duncan, Owner Duncan's Toy Chest: Oh yes. May I make a suggestion? Take the Turtle Doves.
Kevin McCallister: I can have two?
Mr. E.F. Duncan, Owner Duncan's Toy Chest: Well, two Turtle Doves. I'll tell you what you do: you keep one, and you give the other one to a very special person. You see, Turtle Doves are a symbol of friendship and love. And as long as each of you has your Turtle Dove, you'll be friends forever.
Kevin McCallister: Wow. I never knew that. I thought they were just part of a song.
Mr. E.F. Duncan, Owner Duncan's Toy Chest: They are. And for that very special reason.
You may be surprised to know that "turtledoves," especially "doves" are found sprinkled throughout both the Old and New Testament.

"My beloved speaks, and says to me:
'Arise, my love, my fair one,
And come away.
For behold, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of singing (of birds) has come,
And the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth and ripens her green figs,
And the vines are in blossom and give forth their fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one, And come away!'"
 Song of Solomon 2: 10-13

If you know anything about this book in the Bible, you know that it is about King Solomon and his lover or supposed first wife - courtship through consummation. Even during their early days, they were very poetic:

How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes are doves.   ~Song of Solomon 1:15

So, why all of this stuff about two turtledoves? Well, Thomas and I will have our consummation of marriage in exactly TWO MONTHS!

Two lives united in friendship,
Two friends united in love,
In the presence of Christ,
Are united to become one.

With Christs help, we will be friends forever...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment