Wednesday, May 25, 2011

On this day in history...

Here's a trivia question - what happened on this day in history? Well, both the Chilean and Argentinean Constitutions were promulgated in 1833 and 1819 respectively. In 1925, John Scopes was indicted for teaching Darwin's Theory of Evolution (...wow...how the times have changed...). There was the the infamous one and only nuclear test at the Nevada Test site in 1953. The first Star Wars movie, A New Hope, was released in theaters in 1977 (also the year my parents graduated from high school). Today is known as National Missing Children's Day since Etan Patz disappeared on this day in 1979. For more trivia, click here.

More notably to me, I graduated from Tri County High School five years ago today (5/25/06). Thomas had previously asked me to be his girlfriend (2/11/06); however, I declined because I wanted to finish high school before I became involved in any official relationship with dating drama. So, as I had mentally rehearsed, I inquired if Thomas' offer still stood and then accepted Thomas' invitation to be his girlfriend after receiving my high school diploma earlier in the evening.
Thomas and I at Frederick Meijer Gardens, 2/11/06.
Thomas and I at my high school graduation. He gave me flowers, and they were my class flowers at that!

Nowadays, the adolescent culture puts emphasis on anniversaries for how long a couple has been together (1 week, 1 month, 1 year, etc.). Here is the end of a poem I wrote for Thomas on our "one-year" dating anniversary.

I could give you a hug
Or give you a kiss
Or I could simply say
"As you wish!"

For one's fifth wedding anniversary, the color is turquoise. Well, this is obviously not our fifth year of marriage, but I would like to say:

HAPPY FIVE-YEARS THOMAS!

Concerning wedding logistics, here is a bit of news:
 
Invitations
Formal invitations are going out soon thanks largely due to the efforts of my mom.
 
Rehearsal and Rehearsal Dinner
The times and locations for both of these events have been finalized thanks to the help of Thomas' mom.

2 comments:

  1. I truly feel old. As I have been out of Tri-County for 21 years. :-) Loving your blog Shirley. Hope you can keep it up after you married!

    ReplyDelete