Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fruitflies

Here's one for you - I don't care for flies, especially fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster).
Right now, I work in a yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) research laboratory that neighbors a fruit fly lab. Needless to say, there seem to be a few of these critters that happen to escape their homes. To make things worse, laboratory fruit flies normally feed on sources similar to yeast/yeast components. So, not only do these are their escaped fly convicts, but they're attracted to our lab. Then, just when I think I can get away, I go to my office (also on this floor) only to realize that fruit flies are also attracted to the apple I want to eat for lunch (duh!). Finally, at the end of the day, I venture home to find that our produce is inundated with fruit flies. Needless to say, these critters seem ubiquitous, leading me to understand how Redi and others could believe that flies (and life) can spontaneously arise (Redi's discovery is bogus, by the way).

All things considered, this situation is actually not that bad (aside from the minor frustration of having a fly whiz by my head) - I have a roof over my head, heat, food, and water...plus, the people I work with are nice, and I'm glad I'm not responsible for conducting fruit fly research.

No comments:

Post a Comment